Personalized Legal Solutions & Positive Results
Filing for Bankruptcy in Chicago, IL
Struggling with Debt You Can’t Pay? Call (312) 945-7451
Many people run into financial trouble. A divorce, medical emergency, job loss, or another life event can leave you in a position where it is impossible to keep up with your bills. If you are in financial trouble and unable to stay current with your bills, it is time to discuss your situation with a trusted Chicago bankruptcy lawyer at Smith Ortiz, P.C.
Why Choose Our Bankruptcy Law Firm?
- 25+ years of collective debt relief experience
- Bankruptcy attorney with an MBA
- $850 special: Call us today to learn more!
- Individualized service & personalized solutions
Our legal team has decades of experience, well-versed in the strategies for resolving debt problems, which include bankruptcy and various alternatives. What's the advantage of working with our firm? Our bankruptcy firm takes the time to find the best solution for each situation. We don't use cookie-cutter solutions. We are not a bankruptcy "mill". We are focused on finding the most effective debt relief solution for each person. We encourage you to contact our Fullerton office or Downtown office today.
More than 25 Years' Experience in Debt Relief
Our firm offers personal legal counsel on a one-on-one basis, and we want to help you bring your financial difficulties to an end. We have found that most of the people we represent are hardworking, responsible and have just fallen on hard times through no fault of their own. We are here to help you get your financial life back on track. No matter what situation you are dealing with, we can guide you in the right direction.
We can serve you in a range of legal matters including the following:
- Chapter 7, Chapter 13 and Chapter 11
- Debt collection defense
- Halting repossession of your vehicle
- Ending wage garnishment
- Stopping foreclosure
- Negotiating debt settlements
- Credit problems
- Restoring your credit
- Bankruptcy fraud defense
- Student loan debt
- Automatic stay
- Bankruptcy alternatives
If you are facing foreclosure, we need to review your situation at once. We know all of the strategies that can allow an individual foreclosure to keep their home, reduce the mortgage payments, and stop foreclosure completely. Let us look over your situation before it moves ahead any further.
When you are looking at bankruptcy as the option to help you settle your debt, taking initiative before going down this route can improve the process and the final results that you receive. If your case is handled correctly then bankruptcy can provide much-needed benefits that you may be unable to obtain through any other option. If it is not handled correctly then the case may not be as successful as it could be. Some valuable steps that should be taken prior to filing are as follows:
- Speak with an attorney: Talking with a professional about your case from the beginning is one of the most important steps that you can take. A bankruptcy lawyer at our firm will be able to review your case, assess the details and use their experience and knowledge to determine an effective plan. Having represented many of these types of cases has enabled them to know what to look for and how to take action. They can guide your case in the right direction, setting you down the right path from the beginning.
- Avoid using credit cards: When you are out of money and are faced with debt, it can be tempting to turn to your credit card as a way to pay for finances. Before you do, think about if you really need this item or if there is another way that you can pay for it. Racking up more credit card debt only hurts your situation and puts you further behind. Speak with your attorney when making this decision to determine if you are fine to use a credit card or if there are certain items where it is ok.
- Avoid debt: Credit cards aren't the only type of debt even though they are a major source of one. There are many ways that we can fall behind and at this point, you want to make every effort to avoid this. It's not the best time to be making major purchases or getting anything that you don't truly need.
- Keep paying bills: Some people assume that since they will be filing for bankruptcy it means that they can drop the current expenses that they have. Rather, it is better to continue paying on the debts that you owe and to show that you have made a valid attempt to pay these expenses.
- Don't pay friends and family back just yet: You may have borrowed some money during a hard time and are wanting to pay it back before you file. This money may actually be considered in the case so it is best to wait before you pay anyone back.
- Don't transfer assets: Don't start moving around your assets and changing your situation. The court will be looking deep into your situation and any changes could play a role in the case. Keep things as they are and wait until your case is complete before making bigger adjustments or transfers.
- Tell the truth: Lying or bending the truth in a bankruptcy case will likely come back to hurt you. Since these cases can gain a lot of attention, something that you hide is likely to come out at some point. Failing to let your attorney know a detail can leave them unprepared and if the court learns that information was withheld or bent then this can impact the case.
For a better understanding of what you can do to prepare for bankruptcy and for representation throughout the process, get in touch with our bankruptcy attorney by calling us today for a free consultation of your case.
When You Need a Debt Relief Lawyer You Can Trust, Call Us
We are proud to serve members of our community that are facing difficult times. Our goal is to guide you towards the most effective solution, and once a plan is decided, to negotiate the best possible terms for you. We advocate for those we represent, and we truly care about every person that we work with. You can be confident that your case will be given our full attention, and that everything possible will be done to bring your financial troubles to a complete end.
For additional information on bankruptcy, please visit the following pages:
Schedule a free consultation or contact our office today to review your legal options.
Smith Ortiz Was a Very Great Divorce Lawyer
“He is so understanding with financial payments and very understanding with winning the case.”
Excellent Service and Very Professional
“Helped me with my chapter 7 bankruptcy all the way and explained everything detail by detail step by step.”
Patient and Professional
“I would like to thank you for all the effort, time, patience, professionalism, and effectiveness in helping me resolve this very important and uncomfortable situation in my life.”
If you're looking for a great bankruptcy attorney, this is your firm.
“They got the job done - fast, friendly, helpful & at a very good rate.”
You all are the best lawyers in Illinois.
“Thank you for the wonderful work that your company has done for me.”